Types of Information We Collect Online
The types of Personal Data that we may collect while you use the Beckman Coulter Sites are described in this section and include both information that you provide to us and information that we collect automatically when you use the Beckman Coulter Sites.
Information You Provide
You do not have to register for a service or program to receive much of the information available through Beckman Coulter Sites. However, some of our content is available only to registered or identified users and will require you to set up a profile or provide specific information about yourself to access this information or service.
Personal Data You Provide When Visiting Beckman Coulter Sites or in an off-line situation
Beckman Coulter collects Personal Data that you provide either on Beckman Coulter Sites, or in an off-line situation. This could include:
- Contact Information such as your name, address, phone number, or email address
- Registration Information such as your username and password
- Remuneration information when you provide a service to Beckman Coulter in your capacity as a healthcare professional
- Employment, education and other background information when you inquire about employment with Beckman Coulter
- Payment information (such as banking information, payment card number, expiration date, delivery address, and billing address)
- Other information you may provide (for example, when you complete our Online Contact Form or provide information in a free text field).
Personal Data You Share During Other Interactions with Beckman Coulter
You may contact Beckman Coulter to ask questions, discuss your concerns, or report issues regarding our products. If you communicate with or request information from Beckman Coulter, you may be prompted to provide your contact information as well as Personal Data that is relevant to your request.
Information That May Be Collected Automatically
When you use the Beckman Coulter Sites, we also may collect certain usage and device information automatically as described below.
We may record the Internet Protocol (“IP”) address of your computer or other electronic device when you visit the Beckman Coulter Sites. An IP address identifies the electronic device you use to access the Sites. Your IP address allows us to maintain communication with your computer as you navigate Beckman Coulter Sites and to customize content.
Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
We also collect information about your use of Beckman Coulter Sites through tracking technologies such as cookies and web beacons. A “cookie” is a unique numeric code that is transferred to your computer to track your interests and preferences and to recognize you as a return visitor. A “Web beacon” is a transparent graphic image placed on a Web site, e-mail or advertisement that enables the monitoring of things such as user activity and site traffic. These technologies help remember your preferences and allow us to bring you the content and features that are likely to be of greatest interest to you on the basis of “clickstream” data that shows your previous activities on Beckman Coulter Sites.
We utilize Google Display Advertising (such as Retargeting with Google Analytics, Google Display Network Impression Reporting, DoubleClick Campaign Manager integration, and Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting) to (1) show you our ads on other websites based on your prior visits to Beckman Coulter Sites, and (2) better understand our ad impressions and use of ad services. In connection with the Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting service, we may use data from Google's interest-based advertising or third-party audience data (such as age, gender and interests) with Google Analytics to understand and improve our marketing campaigns and Site content.
Some of our online advertising takes place through Google Display Advertising. As part of this program, we use Google Analytics features such as Retargeting. In connection with that feature and others offered by ad networks, we and the operators of ad networks, including Google, may use third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick cookie) – and in some cases first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookie) – to inform, optimize and serve ads across the Internet, based on a user's past visits to Beckman Coulter Sites. We also may show you ads from some of our affiliated companies when you visit Beckman Coulter Sites.
This Beckman Coulter Site is not designed to respond to "do not track" signals received from browsers.
To learn more about cookies and other tracking technologies, including how to disable them, please visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org/. Please note that some cookies are essential to the functioning of our Sites and deleting or disabling them will reduce the site’s functionality.
Some Beckman Coulter Sites are available either mobile sites that you can use on your mobile device. If you use a mobile device to access and use the Beckman Coulter Sites, we may collect the following mobile-specific information in addition to the other information described above: device or advertising ID, device type, hardware type, media access control (“MAC”) address, international mobile equipment identity (“IMEI”), the version of your mobile operating system, the platform used to access or download the Beckman Coulter Site (e.g., Apple, Google, Amazon, Windows), location information and usage information about your device and your use of the Beckman Coulter Sites.
Information Collected from Other Sources
We may combine information about you from a visit to one Beckman Coulter Site with information about you from visits to other Beckman Coulter Sites. We may also combine information about you that is collected through the Beckman Coulter Sites with information that we have collected offline, as well as with information provided to us by third parties.
How We Use Your Information
We obtain certain personal information (such as your name and contact details) when you choose to provide them through our Site or in an offline situation. The types of information we may obtain include:
- Contact information (such as name, postal address, email address, and mobile or other phone number);
- username and password to access Beckman Coulter products and services online;
- account number;
- payment information (such as payment card number, expiration date, delivery address, and billing address); and
- content you may provide (for example, when you complete our Online Contact Form or submit other information).
Without this information, we may not be able to offer you certain of our products or services.
To the extent required by applicable law, we will obtain your consent before collecting information using cookies or similar automated means.
We will use the information we obtain through the Site as needed to fulfill our contractual obligation to provide you with the products and services you request, manage your orders and invoices, and process your payments.
We also will use the information we obtain through the Site if we have a legitimate interest to do so, including to support the following functions and activities:
- Create and manage your online account;
- communicate with you about, and administer your participation in, surveys, events, programs, and webinars;
- display content on our Site (such as training materials and videos);
- respond to and communicate with you about your inquiries and requests and provide information you request;
- register your purchased products and provide product, warranty and service support;
- process claims we receive in connection with our products and services;
- operate, evaluate and improve our business (including developing new products and services; enhancing and improving our services; managing our communications; [analyzing our products; performing data analytics; and performing accounting, auditing, billing reconciliation and collection activities and other internal functions);
- perform data analysis and other analyses and processing (including market and consumer research, trend analysis, financial analysis, anonymization, encryption and tokenization of personal information);
- protect against, identify and prevent fraud and other criminal activity, claims and other liabilities; and
- comply with and enforce applicable legal requirements, relevant industry standards and our policies.
If you choose, we will use your contact information to send you product information, newsletters, promotions and other offers.
We do not sell or otherwise disclose personal information we collect about you, except as described here.
We will share your personal information with:
- Our affiliates and subsidiaries for the purposes described in this Global Privacy Notice.
- Service providers who perform services on our behalf based on our instructions, including payment processing and authorization, order fulfillment, marketing, data analytics and fraud prevention services. We do not authorize these service providers to use or disclose the information except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or comply with legal requirements. Examples of these service providers include entities that respond to customer inquiries, process credit card payments, fulfill orders, and provide web hosting, training, event and marketing services.
- Other third parties with your consent.
In addition, we may disclose information about you (i) if we are required to do so by law or legal process, (ii) to law enforcement authorities or other government officials based on a lawful disclosure request, or (iii) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss, or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual fraudulent or illegal activity.
We also reserve the right to transfer personal information we have about you in the event we sell or transfer.
To the extent required by applicable law, we will retain your personal information for the duration of our relationship, plus a reasonable period to comply with the applicable statute of limitations or if otherwise required under applicable law.
Providing Product and Services You Request
If you choose to purchase a product or receive our services, we use the Personal Data that you provide through Beckman Coulter Sites to manage your orders and invoices, to process payments, to respond to your questions, provide you the services you request and offer an optimal customer experience.
You may also have consented to receiving marketing information from Beckman Coulter and related affiliates, such as offers regarding Beckman Coulter related products or services, invitations to participate in surveys about our products, or notifications about special promotions. In such cases, we will use your contact and other Personal Data to send you marketing information.
Customized User Experiences
Business and Product Improvement
In order to discover new facts that could help Beckman Coulter better understand customer needs and help improve, develop, and evaluate product, services, materials, and programs. Beckman Coulter analyzes the information that you have provided.
Site Analytics and Improvement
We use information collected online through cookies, web beacons and other automated means to (i) customize our users’ visits to our Site, (ii) deliver content (including advertising) tailored to our users’ interests and the manner in which our users browse our Site, and (iii) manage our business. We also use this information to help diagnose technical and service problems, administer our Site, identify users of our Site, and gather demographic information about our users. We use clickstream data to determine how much time users spend on web pages of our Site, how users navigate through our Site, and how we may tailor our Site to better meet the needs of our users.
We use third party web analytics services on this Site, such as those of Google Analytics and Eloqua. The service providers that administer these services use technologies such as cookies, web server logs and web beacons to help us analyze how visitors use the Site. The information collected through these means (including IP address) is disclosed to these service providers, who use the information to evaluate use of the Site. To learn more about Google Analytics and how to opt out, please visit www.google.com/analytics/learn/privacy.html.
We also may use the information in other ways for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection.
Legal Basis for Processing
Under European Union data protection laws, Beckman Coulter must have a legal basis to process your Personal Data. The legal basis that applies in a particular instance will depend on for which of the specific purposes described above Beckman Coulter is processing your Personal Data:
- In certain cases, Beckman Coulter may ask for your consent to collect and process your Personal Data. Should you choose to provide your consent, you may later withdraw your consent by contacting us as described in the “Your Privacy Choices” section. Please note that the withdrawal of consent will not affect processing which has already occurred.
- In other instances, the processing of your Personal Data may be necessary in order to comply with an applicable law or regulation or for the performance of a contract to which you are subject. You may not be able to opt-out of this processing, or your choice to opt-out may impact our ability to perform a contractual obligation otherwise owed to you.
- In still other instances, Beckman Coulter may process your Personal Data based on Beckman Coulter’s legitimate interests in communicating with you about our products and services, and about scientific research and educational opportunities. You have the right to opt-out of all such processing of your Personal Data. You may do so by contacting us as described in the “Your Privacy Choices” section.
Information We Share
We only share your Personal Data with third parties as described below. We do not sell or rent Personal Data to third parties for their own marketing purposes.
Third-Party Advertising and Online Behavioral Advertising
You may be provided with online advertisements of Beckman Coulter products and services on third-party websites and mobile services that are tailored to you, for example, on the basis of information that you provide to Beckman Coulter or a third-party website you are visiting, or based on your browsing activity, purchases, or interests. These types of tailored online advertisements may come through several sources, such as the following:
- We may share with our advertising service providers your non-identifying information that we have obtained from cookies and other tracking technologies on our Beckman Coulter Sites.
Affiliates, Vendors and Suppliers
We may partner with other companies to provide you with content or services on a joint or “co-branded” basis. At a cobranded site, you will see both the Beckman Coulter logo and the logo of the co-branding partner displayed on your screen. You should read the individual privacy policies of our co-branding partners, as they may differ in some respects from ours. Reading these policies will help you to make an informed decision about whether to provide your information to a given site.
If you contact Beckman Coulter regarding your experience in using one of our products, we may use the information that you provide in submitting reports to the designated government regulatory authority, as required of us by law.
Legal Rights and Obligations
In certain limited circumstances, Beckman Coulter may need to disclose your Personal Data in order to comply with a legal obligation or demand, such as to comply with reporting obligations to our governing regulatory authorities regarding the safety of our products, or in connection with the sale or transfer of one of our product lines or divisions, which includes the services provided through one or more of the Beckman Coulter Sites. In such instances, we will take measures to protect your Personal Data to the extent possible. We also reserve the right to use Personal Data to investigate and prosecute users who violate our rules or who engage in behavior that is illegal or harmful to others or to others’ property.
Change in Organization
In the event Beckman Coulter decides to reorganize or divest our business through sale, merger, or acquisition, Beckman Coulter may share Personal Data about you with actual or prospective purchasers. We will require any actual or prospective purchasers to treat this Personal Data in a manner consistent with this notice.
Beckman Coulter does not knowingly collect or use any Personal Data directly from children on Beckman Coulter Sites (Beckman Coulter defines “children” as minors younger than 18). We do not knowingly allow children to order our products, to communicate with us, or to use any of our online services. If you are a parent and become aware that your child has provided us with information, please contact us using one of the methods specified below, and we will work with you to address this issue.
Your Privacy Choices
You have the right to see and get a copy of Personal Data about you that we maintain as well as to ask us to make corrections to inaccurate or incomplete Personal Data about you.
You have the right to receive data you have provided to us in a machine-readable format and to transmit that data to another controller.
You may also request the erasure of your Personal Data or the restriction of its processing, or object to the processing of Personal Data about you.
To seek access to Personal Data about you, to file a concern, complaint, or request for correction, or to opt-out of particular programs, please:
- contact our Legal & Compliance team by clicking on the “Contact Us” link on the Beckman Coulter Site you are using
- contact us by using the Beckman Coulter contact information on the Beckman Coulter mobile application you are using
- contact us by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may also send a letter to the following address:
Attn: Legal & Compliance (Privacy)
250 S. Kraemer Blvd.
Brea, California 92821
For more information about your privacy rights, or if you are not able to resolve a problem directly with us and wish to make a compliant, contact your local data protection authority, if applicable.
In all communications to Beckman Coulter, please include your email address, the website address, mobile application, and/or the specific Beckman Coulter product to which you provided Personal Data (e.g., www.beckmancoulter.com), and a detailed explanation of your request. If you would like to delete, amend, or correct your Personal Data and are contacting us by email, please put “Deletion Request” or “Amendment/Correction Request” in the subject line of the email. We will respond to all reasonable requests in a timely manner and may need to further confirm your identity in order to process certain requests.
Beckman Coulter maintains reasonable technical, administrative and physical controls to secure any Personal Data collected through the Beckman Coulter Sites. However, there is always some risk that an unauthorized third party could intercept an Internet transmission, or that someone will find a way to thwart our security systems. We urge you to exercise caution when transmitting Personal Data over the Internet, especially your financial-related information. Beckman Coulter cannot guarantee that unauthorized third parties will not gain access to your Personal Data; therefore, when submitting Personal Data to Beckman Coulter Sites, you must weigh both the benefits and the risks.
Third Party Sites and Social Media Plug-ins
Accessing Our Sites Globally
This site is owned and operated by Beckman Coulter in the United States, but the information you provide will be accessible to our affiliates, vendors, and suppliers in other countries in accordance with this policy. Furthermore, if you are visiting this site from a country other than the United States, your communication with us will necessarily result in the transfer of information across international borders. The level of legal protection for Personal Data is not the same in all countries; however, we will take the security measures described in this Privacy Notice in an effort to keep your information secure. By using this site, you understand that your Personal Data may be stored and processed in the United States and in any country to which we may transfer your information in the course of our business operations.
Notice to California Residents
Subject to certain limits under California Civil Code § 1798.83, California residents may ask us to provide them with (i) a list of certain categories of Personal Data that we have disclosed to third parties for their direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year, and (ii) the identity of those third parties. To make this request, California residents may contact us at email@example.com.